[nycphp-talk] php authentication and .htaccess protection

David Yun dyun at blue-iceberg.com
Fri Apr 2 13:31:03 EST 2004

I'm working on developing a client extranet, and I'm having trouble with one
key conceptual/technical issue.

In the past, our company (we do web design) has uploaded client beta sites
to .htaccess - protected directories. We sent the client a link to the beta
site with a user name and password to login. Now, we want to send all
clients to one site where they can login and be directed to a "project
status" page that gives them all the latest info on their project and links
to beta pages/sites. For this part, I would like to use some sort of session
control/authentication.

The problem is that the "beta" sites are not necessarily written in php, and
we don't want to have to add an authentication script to every page we
upload for a client to view and approve. Furthermore, we don't want to make
clients login twice - first to the main extranet page, and second to a
password-protected directory.

Does anyone know a solution to this problem, or know of a way to pass a
userid and password from php to the .htaccess protection?

Many thanks,
Dave

David Yun, Production Manager  <dyun at blue-iceberg.com>
Blue Iceberg LLC
Website Development | Strategic Marketing | Business Solutions
http://www.blue-iceberg.com
Tel: 212.413.9226 Ext.9238  Fax: 212.413.9201