[nycphp-talk] php authentication and .htaccess protection

Kerem Tuzemen keremtuzemen at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 2 13:50:53 EST 2004

Hi David,

If you don't want to add any extra script(s) to your demo sites codes to
control access to them, unfortunately there's no solution for IE users.
Since they couldn't fix a bug  in IE (which allows people to change the
browsed web site's name appearing in the address bar), Microsoft recently
(Feb 04) disabled usage of the addresses of the format
http://username:password@www.sitename.com in IE.
They have been used to pass username and password to webserver for htaccess
based authentication the way you wanted to implement.

Kerem