[nycphp-talk] hairbrained?

Allen Shaw ashaw at iifwp.org
Mon Apr 5 16:30:49 EDT 2004

Hi Folks,

My boss got an idea.  Somebody suggested to him that our underfunded
non-profit should start our own web portal full of news headlines and
stories related to the issues we deal with, plus lots of news stories we
create about our own work.  Then, on top of that, we could also do like free
email hosting like Yahoo does, and let people check their email online and
whatever.  Then, also, we could have free web hosting for people who are
affiliated with our organization's work, or people who just like the issues
we stand for;  we give away the hosting service and then we get people to
upgrade to a paid service and -- get this! -- we can actually start making
money at this, which is good since we certainly need money, and people will
probably be okay to pay us since they already agree with our ideals.

The department director who brought this up honestly thinks there's
potential here.  I, on the other hand, honestly believe that probably 50
people in Westchester county independently "discovered" this same "great
plan" on the same day as this person, probably also while in the shower or
on the toilet.

Would anybody out there like to tell me how wonderful this plan is?  I'm
already looking for ways to talk my boss down off this ledge before he
jumps.

- Allen

Allen Shaw                                  ashaw at iifwp.org
IIFWP Data and                           914.631.1331 x.106
    IT Services                        http://www.iifwp.org