[nycphp-talk] hairbrained?

felix zaslavskiy felix at bebinary.com
Mon Apr 5 20:59:51 EDT 2004

You can't do what yahoo or hotmail does. If you are google you can.

You can setup a single email server it will be able to service a couple
hundred or more accounts and possibly also web hosting.
You will have to pay for server and bandwidth.
Server+RAID ~ 2K (dont get cheap on RAID)
Bandwidth ~ $100/month

Make sure to give the account to people your org knows in person or else
you will get spammers.  You will need someone tending to the server
because some user may catch one of those nasty Windows worms and someone
needs to be there to disable their account. Additionaly patching need and
other admin taks need done.

At small scale there is nothing wrong with doing this service. At Yahoo
level that is just dreams.