MySQL timestamps' format changed (was RE: [nycphp-talk] phpMyadmin's dumps won't import into...phpMyAdmin?)

Marc Antony Vose suzerain at suzerain.com
Tue Apr 6 17:31:20 EDT 2004

Well, OK...I have my answer, and this could be useful for everyone
else so I am posting here.  Thanks to everyone who chimed in.

MySQL changed the way timestamp columns behave as of 4.1.  The manual
says, about timestamps:

TIMESTAMP[(M)]
A timestamp. The range is '1970-01-01 00:00:00' to sometime in the
year 2037. ....[snip]......In MySQL 4.0 and earlier, TIMESTAMP values
are displayed in YYYYMMDDHHMMSS, YYMMDDHHMMSS, YYYYMMDD, or YYMMDD
format, depending on whether M is 14 (or missing).....[snip]

They also offer this section in the manual, to explain for people new
to MySQL how timestamps *used to* work.

http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/TIMESTAMP_pre-4.1.html

This might be useful to any of you dealing with timestamps.

This host is using 4.1+, so that's obviously where my problem stems from.

IMO this *is* a bug in phpMyAdmin, or, rather, something that ought
to be in there.  However, it is entirely possible they have already
updated some build of phpMyAdmin that they do not consider "stable".

I'll look into that now, and notify them if necessary.

Cheers,

--
Marc Antony Vose
http://www.suzerain.com/

The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in
higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.
-- Nietzsche