[nycphp-talk] MySQL versioning system

Adam Maccabee Trachtenberg adam at trachtenberg.com
Tue Apr 27 14:17:51 EDT 2004

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004, Mark L. Withington wrote:

> Thanks for your quick response Adam.  Only concern might be the size of the
> database as go forward.  Each record might contain 100+ fields, not all of
> which would change during each iteration.  I therefore, might be saving
> redundant information (e.g. only two or three fields might change over the
> different versions).

Disk drives are cheaper than development time and less prone to
bugs. :)

Seriously, hard drives are super cheap and text is small. There's no
reason to waste time or money on this problem unless the size becomes
so large you're running out of space. By then, the cheapest solution
will probably be to buy a larger drive.

Sometimes the best solution to a problem is better hardware, not
better software.

-adam

adam at trachtenberg.com
author of o'reilly's php cookbook
avoid the holiday rush, buy your copy today!