[nycphp-talk] email quota hander in PHP

Allen Shaw ashaw at iifwp.org
Fri Aug 6 15:14:06 EDT 2004

Hi Folks,

Anybody here want to try and talk me out of writing a PHP script to help me
trim down over-quota mailboxes on my server?  Somehow I pick up the
impression from some people that PHP is just not meant for this kind of
thing, and that I'd be better off going with python or perl.  Since I'm much
more familiar with PHP than most anything else, that seems a lot more
convenient.

The background is that I've been looking for some ways to manage email
quotas per user on my server, something that's a little more flexible than
procmail's "bounce anything over-quota" methods.  Not having found anything
existing, I've started to hack something together in PHP that would get
called daily by cron and then implement a certain policy on over-quota mbox
files  (basically, delete oldest messages one-by-one until mbox size is
acceptable, but never delete anything less than x days old).  I've also got
access to something in Python which I could (extensively) modify -- but I
don't look forward to that.

Anybody in NYPHP-land want to issue a word of warning before I go this way?

Thanks,
Allen

Allen Shaw                                  ashaw at iifwp.org
IIFWP Data and                           914.631.1331 x.106
    IT Services                        http://www.iifwp.org