[nycphp-talk] Files or BLOBs??

Fee, Patrick J (US SSA) patrick.fee at baesystems.com
Thu Aug 12 14:46:32 EDT 2004

Aj,

What about a verity search?  The later versions of the verity search engine is a LOT less buggy that the earlier versions.  And then you also open the door to searching other binary files as well (e.g.:Word, Excel, Powerpoint, PDF files that have been OCR'd).  Then you could keep the files in a directory stucture rather than as BLOBs or CLOBs.

The only drawback is that you might need two search queries... one for information kept in a db (certain file information or other unrelated info) and another for the files indexed by the Verity search engine. In my work with ColdFusion, the last couple of versions allow for a Select query that has multiple searches in one query (e.g. search this db and then do this Verity search and return the aggregate results into one page).  Perhaps php may have a simiar query method?

Just some Thursday afternoon musings.....

Patrick J. Fee
202-203-6950 (desk)
240-401-6820 (cell)
BAE SYSTEMS