[nycphp-talk] Auth sessions

Matthew Terenzio webmaster at localnotion.com
Fri Aug 13 17:22:33 EDT 2004

On Aug 13, 2004, at 12:40 AM, Daniel Convissor wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 06:57:14PM -0400, Matthew Terenzio wrote:
>>
>> When I moved it to the top of the page, the session portion worked
>> fine.
>
> I'll bet you have/had a lovely combination of issues:
> 1) You're using cookies for the session data.

True I have not explicitly not used cookies.  I don't consider this an
issue, do you ? Won't the PHP session object handle cases where cookies
are disallowed. Maybe that's a wrong assumption of mine leftover from
JSP class.

> 2) The cookies couldn't be set because the space at the top of the
> file was considered output, so further headers couldn't be sent
> (cookies are sent in the HTTP header)

You got that right, I'd say. Thanks for the explanation.

> 3) You have your error reporting turned off, so you didn't get the
> infamous headers already sent error message.

display_errors is on and set to 8. Is that different than E_ALL?(by the
time you answer I will have investigated) Thanks for the heads up. I
changed to E_ALL and restarted Apache and still can't get a warning or
error. (I will try harder when I have time)

> So, you've solved 2, so now fix 3.  Set error reporting to E_ALL and
> display_errors = On so you start writing good code.

OOOh that's cold. I hope you mean verify which code I'm writing is
good. : )