[nycphp-talk] [OT] Version Control

Chris Shiflett shiflett at php.net
Tue Aug 24 11:54:56 EDT 2004

--- "Joseph Crawford Jr." <jcrawford at codebowl.com> wrote:
> i know this is a bit off the php topic however i will be using it for
> php work, which would you suggest is better to use?

I added [OT] to the subject, since that seems appropriate. However, this
discussion seems very relevant to the list, even if it is off-topic. :-)

> CVS: http://cvshome.org/
> or
> SubVersion: http://subversion.tigris.org/

I think Subversion is better in terms of features, but if I had to choose
a version control system right now, I'd still go with CVS. It's more
familiar to most developers, there is more documentation, CVS clients are
packaged with most operating systems, it's been around longer, etc.

I think this discussion is similar to choosing a PHP compiler cache,
though. The difference between using one versus not using one is huge,
whereas the differences between them are minor. So, use a version control
system, whichever you decide. :-)

Chris

=====
Chris Shiflett - http://shiflett.org/