[nycphp-talk] Accessing Properties in PHP OOP

randal rust rrust at r2communications.com
Thu Aug 26 09:24:18 EDT 2004

I am building an application as an exercise in moving from procedural
programming to OOP.

I have the following classes...

class_display.php
class_validator.php
class_client.php

What I would like to do is clean my code up a little. Within
class_client and class_validator, I access and modify properties of
class_display by declaring 'global $display.'

I don't think this is right, but I can't seem to find another way that
works.

Code snippets are posted below. TIA.

//code for class_display

class Display {

	var $errors=false;
	var $errorM;
	var $success=false;
	var $successM;
	var $display=true;

	}

//code snippet from class_validator

class Validator {

	var $type;
	var $value;
	var $pass;

	function validateAlpha($value){
		$value=trim($value);
		$pass=preg_match('/^[a-zA-Z-]+$/', $value);
		return $pass;
		}

	}

//code snippet from class_client

class Client {

	function clientNameCheck($value){
		global $display;
		global $validator;
		$test=$validator->validateMixed($value);
		if(!$test){
			$display->errors=true;
			$this->clientNameEM='<p class="error">ERROR: Client name is not
valid.</p>';
			return false;
			}
		}
	//begin add method
	function addClient(){

		//call to other classes
		global $conn;
		global $validator;
		global $display;

		//validate user input

		$this->clientNameCheck($this->clientName);
		}
	//end add method
	}

--
Randal Rust

R.Squared Communications
http://www.r2communications.com
Digital Design for Bricks-and-Mortar Businesses