[nycphp-talk] [OT] - Getting hosed by Windows XP Service Pack 2

Daniel Convissor danielc at analysisandsolutions.com
Thu Aug 26 12:53:47 EDT 2004

Hey Jeff:

Sorry you're having headaches.

I've installed SP2 on a few machines without incident.

I handed out a CD at Tuesday's meeting containing SP2 and a bunch of
other handy scripts and utilities.

For those who got that CD, I subsequently wrote a README file for the
CD and a set of instructions for turning off unnecessary protocols.
If you'd like those emailed to you, drop me a note directly (not via
the mailing list).

For those that didn't get it, in addition to SP2, it most notably has
the following two items:

IE60sp1-Tweak
    Improvements to Internet Explorer's security settings

XpPro-SecurityGuide
    Instructions and templates from Microsoft for
    locking down Windows XP Professional.

XpPro-SecurityTemplates
    My scripts for automating the process of locking
    down Windows XP Professional.  These are based on
    the materials from Microsoft in the prior directory.

Xp-Tweaks
    Loads of adjustments to the Windows user interface
    that make things easier to use and a bit more secure.

Plus a bunch of good programs and utilities that are nice to have in
one place.  If you'd like one, pop me an email off-list.

--Dan

                http://www.AnalysisAndSolutions.com/