[nycphp-talk] Possible to send email to _specific_ exchange server?

maymay maymaynyc at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 26 18:36:01 EDT 2004

Hello all,

I have an interesting problem which I¹m unable to solve on my own. I¹m
hoping someone here can offer some help. This is my first post to the list,
but I¹ve been lurking for a while and it seems that many brilliant and
generous minds post here.

Here¹s my problem:

I¹ve got a client with a tiny web site which I built for them. In it, I
included a contact form ‹ nothing fancy, just an HTML form to send mail() to
a specific address: me at sphgrp.com

The problem arose when I transferred the site from my server to theirs: they
have a shared web hosting plan provided by LunarPages.com with the domain
name sphgrp.com but they have their email accounts set up at Network
Solutions, Inc, also with the host name sphgrp.com.

This means that whenever PHP sends an email to me at sphgrp.com, it never
leaves LunarPages¹ network and instead of getting routed to the email
account at Network Solutions it gets routed to the main account webmail at
LunarPage¹s control panel! Not the intended effect at all.

I¹ve spent almost a day and a half on the phones with Tech Support from both
Network Solutions and LunarPages, and they have only succeeded in making me
more confused. On the one hand, one tech told me to change the PHP script.
On the other, another tech told me to get the IP address of the mail server
at Network Solutions and put that address as the MX record in LunarPage¹s
DNS entries for my domain name. Network Solutions, however, refuses to
provide that IP address for some reason.

My ultimate question, then, is how (if it¹s even possible) can I route mail
off LunarPage¹s network when its sent from PHP so that it is correctly
delivered to my client¹s inbox? Changing the domain name in one or both
instances is not a possibility, and I would very, very much like to avoid
telling the client that they need to transfer their mail account off their
current provider.

I haven¹t the DNS or PHP knowledge to figure this one out, and the tech
support people aren¹t supportive at all.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

-Meitar Moscovitz

P.S. I usually get this list in a digest, but this is a time-sensitive
situation. I¹d be extremely grateful if a helpful reply could be CCed to
maymaynyc at hotmail.com directly so that I might catch it before the next
digest. Thanks again.