[nycphp-talk] Re: Projects

chris feldmann cwf at axlotl.net
Sat Aug 28 19:08:38 EDT 2004

See if you can think of something that would be useful for
you to use, some internet tool. My not very imaginative
answer when I asked myself the same question was an email
client. I had accounts scattered across the various webhosts
I'd rented space from, or inherited control of a site on.
So I wrote a PHP email client that could easily hop from
account to account. So there's network programming, oop when
you deal with the objects the imap functions return,
databases, maybe, to store mail or at least logon data. Then
later others started using it, so there's sessions, cookies,
what have you.  People complain about the gmail interface,
but if I have a problem with my webmail interface, I just
change it to suit my needs. Anyway, it's a not too big (but
can get very big, if you want) little project.

-chris

 >Hi I've been working with PHP now for close to 7 months
now, and I
 >feel the biggest obstacle for furthering my knowledge is
lack of
 >projects / sites to create.  I've already worked with
MySQL a lot, a
 >little bit of PEAR, and worked a bit with OOP.  I was
wondering if
 >anyone had any suggestions for projects that I do, or a
strategy that