[nycphp-talk] Validating Email Addresses

Daniel Krook krook at us.ibm.com
Thu Dec 2 13:28:06 EST 2004

> Joe Bloggs <joe at example.com>

As I understand it, this format which includes the names, brackets and
whitespace is RFC822 compliant
[http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc0822.txt?number=822] .    If you want it to
accept the format above, will need an RFC822 compliant parser like the
Perl module, although your regex seems to work ok for the most common
format.

I would recommend searching for a reasonable sample of RFC822 compliant
addresses and run them through, or study examples such as PEAR Mail's
RFC822.php [http://cvs.php.net/co.php/pear/Mail/Mail/RFC822.php?r=1.18].

Daniel Krook, Application Developer
WW Web Production Services North 2, ibm.com
1133 Westchester Avenue, White Plains, NY 10604

Personal: http://info.krook.org/
Persona: http://w3.ibm.com/eworkplace/persona_bp_finder.jsp?CNUM=9A9796897