[nycphp-talk] Integration for small non-profit

Dn. Kirill Sokolov kirill at svots.edu
Fri Dec 3 06:38:05 EST 2004

At 23:46 -0500 12/2/04, Matt Morgan wrote, referring to John Lacey's post:
>I second the recommendation about SQL-Ledger. Postgres is indeed a
>bit harder to set up then MySQL, although there are packages for all
>the big Linux distributions. It just seems like I always end up
>having to compile it for some reason, or at least edit something
>manually. But it is still better than MySQL in some ways, so it can
>be worth it.

I don't mind using Postgres; SQL-Ledger looks like it would be
perfect for our accounting needs (better than what we have, anyway).

However - I am a little unclear as to how I could integrate
SQL-Ledger with donor management?  Does anyone know of a non-profit
which has successfully modified SQL-Ledger for basic donor management
or integrated SQL-Ledger with a CRM or something similar?

Thanks for the suggestions..

>I suggest a look at dotLRN (http://dotlrn.org/) for open-source
>academic management. It doesn't do everything you need out of the
>box, but it's based on OpenACS (http://www.openacs.org), which is
>very, very powerful.

This seems promising, at least in the long term.. I might be wrong,
but it seems like this is (for now) mostly ready for producing
academic web sites, rather than hosting academic administrative tasks
(although it is a powerful framework).