[nycphp-talk] [OT] NoMachine NX Terminal Server

inforequest 1j0lkq002 at sneakemail.com
Sun Dec 12 22:25:05 EST 2004

John Lacey jlacey-at-att.net |nyphp dev/internal group use| wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Although it's been around for a while, I ran across NoMachine's NX
> Terminal Server since Knoppix has a free version (FreeNX) on both its
> 3.6 and just released 3.7 CD.
>
> http://www.nomachine.com/
>
> NoMachine has a set up where you can test drive NX, after you first
> download a client.  I downloaded the NX Client for Windows.  The
> client programs are free; NoMachine charges for the commercial version
> of the NX server.
>
> http://www.nomachine.com/download.php
>
> The testdrive link from their homepage:
> http://www.nomachine.com/testdrive.php
>
> When you get it going, it opens a window with a full KDE desktop on
> your [Windows] box.  The thing that impressed me is its speed.  I'm on
> a dialup line that never runs faster than 26.4 Kbps and it was usable.
>
> I've used Knoppix and a USB memory stick as a "backup system" to be
> able to deliver courses in most any situation without regard to
> platform (and school sysadmins).  As the NX Terminal Server looks like
> another, and quite franky, better way to accomplish the same thing, I
> thought I'd pass this info along.
>
> enjoy,
> John

Thanks for the heads-up. I just enjoyed a nomachine trial Suse session
and queried Google Italy. Nice to see my sites at the top of the Google
results GLOBALLY (I thought I had merely achieved top rank nationally ;-)

More seriously, though, why is this better than a local knoppix or other
livelinux boot? Sure it's a contender for a persistent VPN to your own
Linux server (there are others and some free), but isn't knoppix locally
much faster and easier (no system administration once the ISO is set)?

I was running VNC over ssh from WinXP to a SuSe 9  box with persistent
connections over a year ago, and I'm pretty sure the wizard who
configured it for me used only OS components. Zero cost and total
control. I was using VMware on Windows but lately I have been happy with
knoppix.

-=john andrews