[nycphp-talk] cheap php hosts?

inforequest 1j0lkq002 at sneakemail.com
Mon Dec 13 20:06:30 EST 2004

Josh McCormack joshmccormack-at-travelersdiary.com |nyphp dev/internal
group use| wrote:

> I took a look at nearlyfreespeech.net. They look good. I saw they
> don't handle email at all. What do you do for email hosting with sites
> you have with them?
>
> Josh
>
> DarkWulf wrote:
>
>> I host a few smaller sites at www.nearlyfreespeech.net
>>
>> I like them because they have always struck me as very honest people,
>> and surprisingly un-bottom-line orientated. You pay for the hard
>> drive space and bandwidth you use, and thats about it. ($0.02/day for
>> hosting a domain, $0.01/month/megabyte for storage, $1.00/gigabyte
>> for bandwidth)
>>
>> Strong caveat is that you really do have to know what you're doing.
>> Their control panel is sometimes confusing. There is no support for
>> "my script doesn't work" and so on and so forth.

You can purchase mail services from most registrars, ISPs hosting
companies. You just manage the MX records separate from the rest of the
domain records.

I manage most of my sites that way. I manage the DNS myself (via a web
interface), outsource the email hosting, outsource the web hosting. A
decision to move a site to colo doesn't mean reconfiguring mail servers,
a change in mail handling doesn't bother the websites, DNS changes are
justthat: DNS changes, etc.

If you tie your websites and mail functions together, obviously you have
a need for tighter integration, but I am comfortable using subdomains
for that when necessary.

-=john andrews