[nycphp-talk] Saving Items for Later in a Shopping Cart

Randal Rust rrust at r2communications.com
Tue Dec 14 09:09:39 EST 2004

A partner and I are building an ecommerce app. He is handling the
commerce part of the system, but has to go out of the country for a few
weeks and now it's all in my lap (as was planned).

In looking at the cart, there is an issue that I am not quite sure how
to resolve. Any customer (registered or not), should be able to add
items to their shopping cart, leave the site, and come back later and
still see the items in their cart.

I was thinking I could pull this off by using the session id and storing
it in the cart, but that won't work if the customer leaves the site and
comes back a day later.

Now I am thinking that I will have to use a cookie, but even then, how
do I ensure that the customer sees the correct items when they return?
Would it work to store the IP address?

Any suggestions?

--
Randal Rust

R.Squared Communications
http://www.r2communications.com
Digital Design for Bricks-and-Mortar Businesses