[nycphp-talk] PHP + Java with PHPMQ

Jayesh Sheth jayeshsh at ceruleansky.com
Fri Dec 17 13:13:58 EST 2004

Hello everyone,

I hope you are all enjoying the tropical weather of New York City. I
don't know about any of you, but who would want to vacation on a
tropical island such as Java in this warm weather?

Speaking of Java, I thought I should mention this interesting article I
came across:

http://www.onjava.com/lpt/a/5363

Amir Shevat has written the PHPMQ system. He has this to say:
"JMS (Java Messaging Service) is an interface implemented by most J2EE
containers in order to provide point-to-point queuing and topic-based
(publish/subscribe) functionality. JMS is frequently used by enterprise
and back-end applications for distributed communication and
collaboration. [...] Although efforts are being made to develop PHP as a
back-end scripting language, its use is still very much confined to
front-end applications. Combining the strengths of PHP--easy and fast
web development, and compatibility with many types of databases--with
those of JMS, which is the standard for communication with back-end
enterprise applications, creates a powerful and easy-to-use tool for
both Java and PHP developers.

PHPMQ gives the PHP developer JMS-like abilities through the MantaRay
messaging bus. This document gives an overview of PHPMQ and its use by
the PHP developer."

This seems like a cool project.

- Jay
PS: People interested in both Java and PHP may want to check out (the
end of) this article too:
http://www.oracle.com/technology/pub/articles/php_experts/FutureofPHP.html