[nycphp-talk] mysql and mysqli together (with PHP 5.0.3)

David Mintz dmintz at davidmintz.org
Fri Dec 24 02:00:53 EST 2004

I upgraded to MySQL 1.4.8. It's installed in /usr/local/mysql and I can
connect with it just fine via the command line.

The PHP docs say:

"To install the mysqli extension for PHP, use the
--with-mysqli=mysql_config_path/mysql_config  configuration option where
mysql_config_path represents the location of the mysql_config program that
comes with MySQL versions greater than 4.1.

"If you would like to install the mysql extension along with the mysqli
extension you have to use the same client library to avoid any conflicts."

Dumb question:  so what configure options should I use if I want to
compile in support for both the old mysql and the new mysqli APIs and
ensure that they are using the same client library?

What I've done is used '--with-mysql=/usr/local/mysql' as well as
'--with-mysqli=/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql_config' and I guess that wasn't
too smart. mysqli is working but when I try mysql_xxx(), all kinds of
weirdness happens.

Ever so gratefully,

---
David Mintz
http://davidmintz.org/

"Don't let the liberal media tell you what to think
and feel. If you have hatred in your heart, let it out."

   -- Clayton Bigsby, black white supremacist