[nycphp-talk] PEAR DB_Cache: partial retraction

David Mintz dmintz at davidmintz.org
Fri Feb 6 07:32:10 EST 2004

The bit about the infinite loop is nonsense, I now realize. The rest still
stands.

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004, David Mintz wrote:

> Even more interesting, if you call fetchRow with arguments
> DB_FETCHMODE_XXX and a $rownum, you go into an infinite loop. I didn't try
> to fix that.

---
David Mintz
http://davidmintz.org/

        "Anybody else got a problem with Webistics?" -- Sopranos 24:17

Subject: RE: [nycphp-talk] Error Handling and Management
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 06:19:57 -0800
From: "Hans Zaunere" <hans not junk at nyphp.com>
To: "NYPHP Talk" <talk at lists.nyphp.org>

> I was wondering how you guys handle your errors from project=20
> to project.  I consitently have an error handling class at=20
> the back of my mind which would handle all errors and report=20
> them correctly, whether it be to an external bug tracking app=20
> or customer support app, a log file, etc.  But the bridge=20
> between ideas and writing code for such a thing is of yet=20
> unbuilt.  Currently, I end up adding seperate error reporting=20
> per project and per class depending on the needs of the=20
> application.  So I was wondering what methods you use.

In most cases I take the easy/minimal approach.  That is, to show a
generic page with little information about the actual error, but then
use trigger_error() to log details.  This could easily be extended to
page/email someone, but having reports to a bug tracking app would take
a little more work (ie, custom handler for whatever app you're
interfacing with).

At one point, I was an avid user of setting a custom function to handle
errors, but I've shyed away from that lately.  Generally,
trigger_error() and then a redirect or include of an error page handles
all that I need, without the overhead of building a function (which must
always include the default php error handling) for each site.