[nycphp-talk] knoppix as debian installer

bpang at bpang.com bpang at bpang.com
Sat Feb 7 16:18:53 EST 2004

I wanted to report back that I tried this and it's pretty great.

For starters, the idea of using the knoppix CD to boot up a system
straight into linux (running off the CD) is brilliant.
I was trying it on an already wiped system, so I don't know if it would
mount windows volumes from the CD boot-up.

The install was as easy as the article makes it out to be... although the
apt-get upgrade process is taking a little longer than advertised, it's
still very easy.

I have it running KDE (default), tho' I have only used Gnome before. KDE
seems a little more fancy-schmancy which may be desireable to some, or end
up being just so much extra fluff (How do I get this mouse shadow and
transparency to go away? Is such an effect really necessary or just using
up precious resources?).
Any opinions on which is better?? KDE or Gnome? (Who am I kidding, of
course there are!)

I just ran the install, and didn't research if there are arguments to
control it (like, don't install certain packages, etc), but it's usually
easy enough to remove stuff later.

Thanks, Josh, for posting this article.

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004, David Mintz wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 joshmccormack at travelersdiary.com wrote:
>
> > You can use Knoppix as a Debian installer.
>
> How do you do that? Sounds intriguing.

Here's a LinuxWorld article on it:
http://www.linuxworld.com/story/32797.htm

And I think there are a bunch of other write ups if you search around
(Debian installer Knoppix).

Josh