[nycphp-talk] MySQL Query Cache

Mitch Pirtle mitchy at spacemonkeylabs.com
Mon Feb 9 13:34:30 EST 2004

Chris Snyder wrote:

> I was surprised to find out this weekend that MySQL 4.x has a built-in
> query cache.
> http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Query_Cache_Configuration.html

As a PostgreSQL bigot, I get similar functionality through the use of
adodb; but the big difference with MySQL's caching is that MySQL is
smart enough to know a cache has been affected by data updates, and
rebuilds the cache - adodb is strictly time-based, but requires no
round-trips to the db box.

Out of curiosity, anyone here with strong opinions on either, and want
to share?  I'm strictly on the fence, as I love adodb's independence and
network-friendly approach, but also love MySQL's 'refreshing' capability...

-- Mitch