[nycphp-talk] Using PEAR?

Dan Cech dcech at phpwerx.net
Tue Feb 10 10:07:02 EST 2004

About a year ago I looked at both PEAR::DB and ADOdb, and chose ADOdb.
I don't remember exactly why, I think at the time ADOdb had a larger
feature set and was under more active development.

I have had no complaints whatsoever about the speed or reliability of
the system, and have become somewhat involved in development.

I know that Hans is vehemently against the idea of a database
abstraction layer, but I am very much for it.  The overhead involved is
minimal, and the gains are potentially huge.

I am currently working on a project (phpGACL
<http://phpgacl.sourceforge.net>) which uses ADOdb and we have users
using MySQL, Postgres, Oracle, MSSQL, and IIRC Sybase.  Without
something like ADOdb or PEAR::DB we would have no chance at being able
to support these users.

<ShamelessPlug>ADOdb (I'm not sure if PEAR::DB has similar
functionality) also supports a system for platform-independent data
definitions through the ADOdb DataDictionary and adodb-xmlschema.  I'm
doing a lot of work on both of these tools and a major release is
scheduled to coincide with the release of ADOdb 4.12.</ShamelessPlug>

Dan