[nycphp-talk] NEW PHundamentals Question

Adam Maccabee Trachtenberg adam at trachtenberg.com
Tue Feb 10 10:49:53 EST 2004

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004, Dan Cech wrote:

> The porn attacks on captchas is definitely inventive and no doubt very
> effective, harnessing the power of 15 year olds everywhere....I love it.
> Jon has a good point about not actually requiring a response to do
> damage.  The mechanism to generate the captchas had better be efficient
> or you're opening yourself up for a DOS attack from anyone who can flood
> the form with GET requests...

I'm not really sure why captcha generation would be the weak link that
someone would use to DOS the box. Wouldn't it be easier to write a
Windows virus to just flood the box with requests?

However, if you were really worried about the extra load, it would
trivial pre-generate 1,000,000 captchas and serve the images up
randomly upon request. If you were super concerned, you could even
offload this task to a separate server optimized for serving static
content.

-adam

adam at trachtenberg.com
author of o'reilly's php cookbook
avoid the holiday rush, buy your copy today!