[nycphp-talk] Using PEAR?

John Lacey jlacey at att.net
Tue Feb 10 15:35:00 EST 2004

Adam Maccabee Trachtenberg wrote:

> *** Blatent Plug Alert ***
>
> "PHP Cookbook" (O'Reilly 2003) has a section on PEAR and also covers
> PEAR DB.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1565926811/trachtenberg-20/ref=nosim
>
> However, I would be remiss if I didn't plug David's new book:
> "Essential PHP Tools: Modules, Extensions, and Accelerators." (Apress
> 2004)
>
> In addition to being completely up-to-date, it has an extensive set of
> documentation on many PEAR (and non-PEAR) modules, including: PEAR DB,
> ADODB, HTML_QuickForm, Smarty, XML_Parser, SimpleXML, PEAR XML_RPC,
> PEAR SOAP, PEAR Mail and Mail_mime, PEAR Auth and Auth_HTTP, XDebug,
> APC, PHPA, and MMCache. (Whew!)
>
> While many of these packages have some form of online documentation,
> much of it is out-of-date, poorly written, or missing major
> portions. In particular, the PEAR SOAP chapter is *far and away* the
> best documentation I have seen on PHP and SOAP. The other chapters are
> good too, particularly if you like ice cream.

I'll second the plug(s) since I have "every book" :) the contributors
on this list have written and they're quite good, if I'm allowed an
understatment.  Having co-authored and technically edited 8 or so
networking-related books (LANs, WANs, protocols, blah...) I appreciate
the difficulty of putting together something that speaks to people who
are trying to learn.

I'm eagerly awaiting the coming titles.

John