[nycphp-talk] installing mysql 4.1 (windows)

Daniel Convissor danielc at analysisandsolutions.com
Wed Feb 18 03:03:30 EST 2004

Hi Folks:

My Win2k test box is currently running MySQL 4.0.x.  I also want to be
able to run MySQL 4.1.x at the same time, though solely for testing
purposes.

I'm making progress.  Got the server installed.  Some important points
were:

1) editing my.cnf to utilize the new mysqld-<version> section syntax and
altering the relevant settings there...

[mysqld-4.0]
port=3306
basedir=c:/progra~1/mysql/
... etc ...

[mysqld-4.1]
port=3307
basedir=c:/progra~1/mysql41/
... snip ...

2) Installing the service under a different name:

mysqld-max-nt --install mysql41

Okay, now the trick is getting it to work with PHP.  I've got a recent
snapshot of PHP 5.  Seems the mysqli extension isn't built in (though the
mysql extension is).  So, am I going to have to compile PHP from scratch
to get this functionality?

Saw the PHP docs for mysqli say

   Note:  The mysqli extension is designed to work with the version 4.1.2
   or above of MySQL. For previous versions, please see the MySQL
   extension documentation.

Is that right?  4.1.2 isn't out.  I just tried connecting to 4.1.1 using
mysql_connect().  In order to get it to work,[1] I had to update the
Password column in the user table to "old_password(Password)."  Well, this
is well and good, but I really need to be testing the mysqli extension.

Any leads to getting mysqli working are welcome.

Thanks,

--Dan

[1] The initial attempts to connect via mysql_connect() failed:
    "Client does not support authentication protocol
    requested by server. Consider upgrading MySQL client"

                http://www.AnalysisAndSolutions.com/