[nycphp-talk] I need a very elementary-school explanation of ' &'

David Mintz dmintz at davidmintz.org
Thu Feb 19 16:45:07 EST 2004

......however -- and correct me if I'm mistaken here -- because of PHP's
copy-on-write behavior, you don't save any memory by passing or returning
by reference unless you change the data. Another reason not to worry about
it in many cases.

Further -- again, pls correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm just the bat boy
among the heavy hitters here -- PHP5 will pass/assign objects by reference
*by default*, so you have to clone off a copy if you *don't* want that.
The =& notation will become superfluous.

HTH

---
David Mintz
http://davidmintz.org/

        "Anybody else got a problem with Webistics?" -- Sopranos 24:17