[nycphp-talk] chmod - sticky bits on dirs

Chris Snyder csnyder at chxo.com
Thu Feb 19 22:37:33 EST 2004

John Lacey wrote:

> bpang at bpang.com wrote:
>
>> I have a directory in which I want all files or sub-directories
>> (existing
>> and newly created/added) to be rwx by any member of the group which owns
>> the directory.
>

> try chmod -R 1777 <dirname>

Hmmm, on BSD anyway, the sticky bit on directories causes them to be
append only, restricting the deletion of files by anyone but their
owners (and the owner of the directory).

What I don't know how to do is just the opposite: some way to create a
directory that would cause all files added to it, by any user, to
automatically be group-writeable. (That is, not relying on the user to
chmod 775 the files they add.)