[nycphp-talk] Designing without register_globals

Faber Fedor faber at linuxnj.com
Sat Feb 21 21:31:13 EST 2004

On Sat, Feb 21, 2004 at 07:38:16PM -0500, jon baer wrote:
> > The one specification is the database back-end is a PICK database
> > implemented under Linux as jBASE.  For this reason, I can't use any
> > off-theshelf ecommerce packages since everyone I've come across save one
> > is more or less hardcoded for MySQL and or Postgresql.  There is one
> > person in CA that knows how to connect PHP to the jBASE database, but he
> > isn't talking. At least not yet.
>
> To me this would be the big problem ... since it accounts for 90% of any
> dynamic website, im interested too in how someone would connect to this db,
> would it be JDBC/Java/PHP?  ODBC?  Pretty interesting problem ...

Well, there is an ODBC driver for it, but it's use is mainly from/to
Windows boxen.  There is a Python connector for it as well.
There is a way to connect directly via PHP; I just have
to find out how.

Once I find out, I'll be happy to tell y'all.

Do you work much with PICK/jBASE?

--

Regards,

Faber

Linux New Jersey: Open Source Solutions for New Jersey
http://www.linuxnj.com