[nycphp-talk] mysql concurrency redux

Tim Gales tgales at tgaconnect.com
Tue Feb 24 13:04:01 EST 2004

David Mintz writes:
" Still having trouble understanding how to avoid the
  Lost Update Problem"

This link will not immediately answer the
question you're asking.

It is from an outline for a course in
operating system structures :
http://www.bridgeport.edu/sed/projects/cs503/Spring_2001/kode/os/sync.htm

I would suggest you compare 'locks' with 'semaphores' there.

Many operating system mechanisms are quite re-usable in applications.

I would like to know where you read:
"I've read that you should either lock tables or use transactions"

I think there are times when you want to lock down a table in part
of a transaction -- i.e. do both.

When you start locking stuff down in transactions, it is beneficial to
have some mechanism in place to avoid 'race' conditions.
(see the above link for ideas on that)

Hope this helps.

T. Gales & Associates
'Helping People Connect with Technology'

http://www.tgaconnect.com