[nycphp-talk] shopping cart experiences

Chris Hubbard chubbard at next-online.net
Tue Feb 24 16:01:26 EST 2004

I've played with a couple.  I've implemented two vanilla osCommerce
sites.  I've implemented one highly customized osCommerce (about 1/4 of
the app rewritten).  osCommerce is a nightmare to customize/modify.  The
community contributions are mostly dubious.  Sometimes the contributions
require other contributions to work, I've never seen those dependencies
documented.

At this point I've written two different ecommerce packages (mostly from
scratch, the second based on the first).  It's faster to write from
scratch than it is to do the kind of tweaks to osCommerce that customer
usually request.

As a developer, if you can, stay away from osCommerce.
As an end user, osCommerce will probably meet your needs (60 - 80%).

Chris