[nycphp-talk] PHP 4.3.3 and session_start

Emmanuel Décarie emm at scriptdigital.com
Wed Feb 25 10:06:10 EST 2004

Hi there,

I'd like to know why in the world, starting with PHP 4.3.3, PHP need to throw an
error (E_NOTICE) when it encounter a second session_start ().

I know that I can disable the display or errors.

I know that I could test first if $_SESSION exists before calling session_start
().

But really, I don't understand the logic behind this change. If the second
session_start is to be ignored, why then throw an error? Could session_start
work in the same logic as include_once ()?

I have some framework that need to be plug sometimes on other frameworks that
can contain a session_start OR not.

Sorry to vent like this, but I find this change undesired and need to understand
why sometimes PHP break compatibility like this between minor versions.

Am I missing something here?

TIA

Cheers
-Emmanuel

>Note:  As of PHP 4.3.3, calling session_start() while the  session has
>already been started will result in an error of level E_NOTICE. Also,
>the second session start will  simply be ignored.
<>
--
Emmanuel Décarie / Programmation pour le Web - Programming for the Web
<http://scriptdigital.com/> - Blog: <http://blog.scriptdigital.com> - AIM: scriptdigital