[nycphp-talk] XML vs. DB (best approach)

Daniel Convissor danielc at analysisandsolutions.com
Fri Feb 27 11:43:34 EST 2004

On Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 11:23:29AM -0500, jon baer wrote:

> ive recently designed + coded a complete site for our hockey league
> (www.brooklynhockey.com) ... there are ~63 tables (between calendar,phpbb,ai
> stuff, and my stuff)

Hmmm...  63 tables sounds like a lot for your situation.  Sounds like you
may have created multiple tables with the same kind of information rather
than having one table with a column identifying the kind of information
(and a second table defining the identification).

> for example if i grab team stats + take it from the db can i make a backup
> XML file for the data?  does this exist or would i have to plug in the logic
> myself?

There are classes out there that'll dump database query results into XML.
I know my SQL Solution does that.  There have got to be others, probably
even in PEAR.

BUT, what's the point?  Databases are for handling data.  I see XML's role
as being a means of transferring data between parties.

--Dan

                http://www.AnalysisAndSolutions.com/