[nycphp-talk] moving MySQL Tables

Carlos A Hoyos cahoyos at us.ibm.com
Fri Feb 27 12:15:30 EST 2004

I do that for some test servers both as backup and to keep them in sync.
Midnight crons tar (for backup) and move the data folder between servers
with no problem. The only catch I can remember: mysql has to be stopped
before copying the files. Attempting to copy data directory with mysql
running gives corrupt files.

This is done both linux -> linux and linux -> w2000, all servers running
the same mysql version.

Carlos

I'm stumped on getting a MySQL table moved from one server to another. I
was
under the (possibly false) impression that it's pretty much a straight
copy.
Am I incorrect? I copied over the data folder and all the files contained
therein, bounced mysql on the new machine (both are W2K).