[nycphp-talk] tracking down memory leaks

Chris Snyder csnyder at chxo.com
Thu Jan 1 17:04:38 EST 2004

I've noticed recently that httpd has been eating about 10MB an hour on
my server. I'm not sure whether the problem is in Apache, PHP, some
other library, or my own code -- I just know that apachectl restart
frees everything up again.

What are some best practices for tracking this sort of thing down?  I'm
using ps -uaxm along with mod_status to try and get an idea which PIDs
are taking up the most memory and what they're working on, but it's not
been very enlightening so far.

Apache 1.3.29 / PHP 4.3 / FreeBSD 4.8

Thanks,

  csnyder