[nycphp-talk] New PHundamentals Article

John Lacey jlacey at att.net
Mon Jan 5 11:17:56 EST 2004

Dan Cech wrote:

> It is really preferable to take care of magic_quotes_gpc at the
> beginning of the script, rather than at the time of insertion into the
> database.  By doing it that way any validation, redisplay, etc of
> submitted data can be done without needing to worry about the effects of
> magic_quotes.

Agree.  Since this was an add-on, I wanted to do all the db
sensitive stuff in one place.  I have an aversion to testing
for the type of database in other places.  In this case, it
seemed the quickest way of dropping in SQLite support
without regard to how a sever's php.ini file may be set up.

Ideally, all 'magic' stuff should be "off" as in the
php-recommended file