[nycphp-talk] an old thread on a proposed function for PHP

Tim Gales tgales at tgaconnect.com
Mon Jan 5 15:29:29 EST 2004

Adam Trachtenberg wrote:

" I can replicate the majority of the functions in PHP
using more low level functions and operators, but that
doesn't mean those functions are useless and bloated."

The bloat stuff I was referring to was:
"
    Oh, come on.  Put it into a utility library; this does not
    belong into the core of PHP.  Or is your argument "we already
    have so much bloat, a bit more is ok, too"?

    - Sascha "
from:
http://www.zend.com/lists/php-dev/200302/msg00551.html

Rasmus agreed (at least at one time) as previously
noted that the function was useless.

"I do agree with Sascha that file_put_contents()
as it is currently proposed is useless. People aren't
currently writing inefficient code to emulate this
behaviour so we aren't fixing a file/implode fiasco here.
We do not need a core function
to replace fopen(); fputs(); fclose()."

 see:
http://www.zend.com/lists/php-dev/200302/msg00559.html

It seemed to me that the function hadn't changed from
the way it was proposed.

I don't know maybe they just changed their minds.

T. Gales & Associates
'Helping People Connect with Technology'

http://www.tgaconnect.com