[nycphp-talk] question about session and scalability

Chris Hubbard chubbard at next-online.net
Wed Jan 7 19:29:12 EST 2004

All,
Here's a weird question for you all.

Got a client who wants to run a couple different web servers, each
server running a copy of the same php application.  There will be some
sort (TBD) of load balancer between the servers and the internet.  And
there will be a separate server for the database.
Users need to log into the application, and stay logged in while using
the application.  We want to be able to keep the users session open
even if one of the web servers crashes.  The users will be conducting
transactions (against PostgreSQL), so I can use the transaction login
in the database.

My understanding is that if we're using $_sessions and the server goes
down, then, the user looses their session (and any work they'd done).
One of the ideas we've come up with is using a cookie, so we know from
the inbound request who is making the request.  But I'm not keen on
cookies, for various reasons.

We're anticipating no more than 50 concurrent users at any given time.
I don't have an idea on how much load on a server a single user will
be.

Any thoughts, suggestions?
thanks,
Chris Hubbard