[nycphp-talk] XAMMP Installation

John Lacey jlacey at att.net
Wed Jan 7 23:58:18 EST 2004

Jeff Siegel wrote:
> Downloaded XAMPP from http://www.apachefriends.org/xampp-en.html for use
> on my Win98 laptop. I've listed below the skills you would need to get
> this up and running after downloading the install file.
>
> Essential skill No. 1: creating a folder
> Essential skill No. 2: browsing to that folder
> Essential skill No. 3: double-clicking on a few files
>
> That's it! It's an absolute pleasure to install! It runs beautifully on
> my antique Compaq Armada.

Better'n sliced bread eh?  I have my students load that up
on their [typically Windows] home systems so they can do all
the good stuff outside class.  And to uninstall, ya just
delete the xampp folder!  In the classroom, we create a LAMP
platform.

A couple things I have them do is to copy the
ApacheMonitor.exe from \xampp\apache\bin up to where all the
bat files are in C:\xampp for convenience.  Then they can
control/restart apache by invoking the monitor, which ends
up in the system tray -- good for experimenting with php.ini
settings when you want to bounce the server.  And I remind
the win2k/xp users to make sure apache is set to "Manual"
startup mode in Services -- don't want a web server running
behind your back!

John