[nycphp-talk] Linking Excel to PHP/MySQL (older versions)

Tim Gales tgales at tgaconnect.com
Thu Jan 8 08:01:58 EST 2004

jon baer writes:

" a client is looking for a method to enable the ability where
 they could open an excel doc, edit on the fly, and tie the
 content in with a website..."

If the client is really in love with the 'excel' product,
maybe he could use the new version which can save to 'XML'.
Sorry, I don't have the details on the version of Microsoft
Office which can save (as an option I believe) directly to xml.

It might be possible through the magic of 'LDAP' to create a
remote directory which would be accessible by the web server.

The idea is that when the client saves the xml version of his
spreadsheet on the remote system, your php stuff would include
it (the excel/xml spreadsheet) automatically in the website.

It seems whenever I try something that looks like it should be
fairly easy to do and it involves a Microsoft component ( in this
case Microsoft's implementation of LDAP) there always seems to
be a 'gotcha' lurking 'in the weeds'.

In this case the 'gotcha' might be that you have to have a
Microsoft server to act the controlling 'authenticating server'.

Hope this serves as some food for thought.

Good Luck,

T. Gales & Associates
'Helping People Connect with Technology'

http://www.tgaconnect.com