[nycphp-talk] XAMMP Installation

Daniel Krook danielk at us.ibm.com
Thu Jan 8 14:28:22 EST 2004

There are quite a few solutions to hosting a site on a dynamic IP ISP,
noip.com and dyndns.org among them.  You pay them a nominal fee to maintain
your DNS.  You download a client app that regularly reports in with your
current IP.
So, if your IP address changes, you're only unavailable for the length of
that time period in between updates (5 minutes, half an hour, depending on
the service's TOS).

I used to host a few websites on my dynamic IP DSL connection with
acceptable speed this way.  I had a router that only passed port 80 and 22
(so I could maintain the server from outside my network) on to the box.

> couple notes ... if a home situation, is there a certainty
> of maintaining the same static IP address?  otherwise, it's
> a moving target
>
> with asynchronous access protocols (like ADSL), keep in mind
> that the home network's upload speed is the download speed
> of the port 80 users -- which is just the opposite of what a
> web server calls for

Daniel Krook, Application Developer, Production Services, ibm.com
1133 Westchester Avenue, White Plains, NY 10604
Tel: (914) 642-4474, Tieline 224-4474
danielk at us.ibm.com

Personal: http://info.krook.org/
Persona: http://w3.ibm.com/persona/users/9/0/x/90MC212-P.html