[nycphp-talk] OT: Unable to receive mail

Jeff Siegel jsiegel1 at optonline.net
Wed Jan 14 10:50:08 EST 2004

I wonder if the issue is that the mail is hosted in one place and the
mail in another. Normally this isn't an issue if things are configured
correctly but if it's not configured correctly.....

I keep talking to the client's tech to find out if there is some sort of
"white list" perhaps, that would let these emails in. Of course...I just
get the telephone equivalent of a blank stare (i.e., silence on the phone).

Jeff

Keith J Richardson wrote:

> Here at work we use a MS Exchange 2000 server, which was installed recently. The one thing that they disabled was SMTP access unless you were logged into the domain, and they had to disable that to allow PHP to send emails. I am sure that we can make it "log on" to the mail server, but right now we decided not to.
>
> Here is my php.ini settings:
> SMTP is set to 172.17.1.13 (Internal Email server IP Address, not addressable from the internet)
> sendmail_from is set to php at thompsonhealth.org (an alias that I created for my account)
> sendmail_path is blank.
>
> I can create an email message with those settings just by doing:
> mail("keith.richardson at thompsonhealth.org","this is a test subject","This is a test message");
>
> and it will send an email to myself.
>
> maybe it is a problem with your email address not being on the exchange server, so it denys email messages sending through it from you? I would believe that this is some setting in exchange that is blocking you.

Found on the Simpson's Website:
"Ooooooh, they have the internet on computers now!"