[nycphp-talk] passing optional arguments by reference

Daniel Convissor danielc at analysisandsolutions.com
Fri Jan 16 11:34:22 EST 2004

Hi Folks:

I'm want the parameters for a function to be passed by reference.
Normally, that's accomplished by placing a & in front of the variable.
Trick is, the argument in question needs to be optional.  Placing a & in
front of an optional parameter creates a parse error.

CODE:
    function &execute($stmt, &$data = array()) {
    }

ERROR:
    Parse error: parse error, unexpected '=', expecting ')'

Removing the "= array()" makes it parse fine.

So, is there a way to do this, please?

Thanks,

--Dan

                http://www.AnalysisAndSolutions.com/