[nycphp-talk] Large SQL Query

Mark Armendariz nyphp at enobrev.com
Mon Jan 19 04:02:03 EST 2004

>> He's joining the same table 4 times (r, t, a, b) just to get the
>> entire result as one row, when he could just join it once and
>> get four rows back,

I agree, and had originally tried it that way, but I'm trying to figure out
which end would like it more - the php loop or the mysql query.  While the
query is long, it's easier to read what fields are available (for the
designer at least), and it allows the designer to do what he wants with the
layout rather than using one specific design for 4 sections (within a loop).
I'm going to run a timer later today to see which one seems to be happier.

I suppose the idea is - is helping the designer out in this case going to
hurt the processing of this page?  Anyone know what I should be monitoring
besides query and page load times?

Thanks for passing it along.