[nycphp-talk] [Fwd: [nylug-talk] Disturbing news]

Tim Gales tgales at tgaconnect.com
Fri Jan 23 08:29:21 EST 2004

Jeff Siegel writes:
" I can easily imagine someone opening a gazillion apps in each desktop
 and then the whole house of cards comes to a crash."

Well Microsoft operating systems tend not to 'lock up'
the way they used to after David Cutler was employed to
work on NT.

See:
http://www3.sympatico.ca/n.rieck/docs/Windows-NT_is_VMS_re-implemented.htm

and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Cutler

I always would recommend to junior programmers working on 'VMS'
projects to check the historical timelines of VMS and
Unix before continuing to complain that they wanted to work on
'newer' operating systems like Unix.
(in point of fact VMS is newer and for my money fixed things
which could be characterized as 'occasionally problematic' in
Unix)

Once a week I light a candle for the WMS on the Itanium chip
project at HP and hope everyone will come to their senses.

T. Gales & Associates
'Helping People Connect with Technology'

http://www.tgaconnect.com