[nycphp-talk] Re: firepages

John Lacey jlacey at att.net
Fri Jan 23 14:48:55 EST 2004

yury at heavenspa.com wrote:

> Jeff, for a hack like myself, i really enjoyed it. It a breeze to install
> and run, and it works! Which is a boon in itself. The only issue i found
> with it was that alot of the scripts I'd download and try to run would fail,
> due to the bundle being more upto date then the scripts.
>
> :)!~
>
> regards
> yury

yury,

firepages' phpdev bundles don't appear to be kept uptodate
anymore (witness the 4.23 php, apache 1.3.26, etc references).

I believe the reason that your scripts failed is that they
were probably written with register_globals=On and phpdev423
installed with the default php.ini value where it was Off

XAMPP, on the other hand, is slightly modified to be "wide
open" with register_globals=On so that many of the older
scripts that depend on this condition will run.

Jeff Siegel is going to post the XAMPP PHundamentals article
pretty soon, I believe.  I think you'll like that packaging

hope that helps,
John