[nycphp-talk] Re: firepages

John Lacey jlacey at att.net
Sat Jan 24 10:38:08 EST 2004

Dan Horning wrote:
> on moodle?

yes, I have an e-learning idea or two that I want to
implement for Open Source software -- PHP being one of them

I am working with a couple community colleges and a
university here in the Denver area to get Open Source
training programs on their schedules, and after literally
years of trying, I've managed to get two colleges going with
PHP/MySQL, Linux/Apache, etc.

The next step is online learning.  I had one of the schools
apply for a free (not GPL) e-learning package that is only
licensed to educational institutions.  The reason I pushed
them to get it is it's written in PHP and uses MySQL and
other OSS software like Tomcat.  When all the darn paperwork
was finally approved and the school gave me a copy to work
with, after getting it running I decided I didn't want to
add features to it.  That e-learning code was initially
written around '97, and it was no doubt damn good at the
time.  Think of what PHP was like then and now.

so, I turned to moodle... it looks like an excellent project
to build on... 'nuff said

John