[nycphp-talk] perspective on NYPHP at Linuxworkd

felix zaslavskiy felix at students.poly.edu
Sat Jan 24 16:23:45 EST 2004

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 20:57:52 -0500
"David Sklar" <sklar at sklar.com> wrote:

> >> Subjectively speaking, of course:  I noticed that the low-rent
> >> district where the small booths (like NYPHP's) were located had a
> >> more exciting vibe than the upscale part of town where the flashy
> >> big corporate exhibits were. The conversation seemed more animated
> >> and interesting.
> >
> > I compare the commercial/FOSS booths to television/Internet:  with
> > the first, you get talked at; and the second, talked to.

I guess it is about what you are interested in. If you need to buy
software for your company then yes you probably your would be more
interested in the business section. Wondering around the place I
wondered what all those people seating through all the boring
presentation did. I guess they probably are not much interested in
linux's open source roots.

Out of curiousity I walked over to Oracle side and asked to see a demo
of one of their "Big and expensive applications". They were more then
happy to direct me to the project manager of one of their "Big and
expensive applications", who gave me a demo and who I got a chance to
ask a bunch of questions on what he does at oracle to how he considers
people for hiring.  They didn't seem to mind at all that I was taking
their time because not that much people where around by end of the
day anyway.

Anyway the companies come there to sell and the techies are just part of
it there is something for everyone.